Proper work attire: 5 tips for Dressing Properly & Respectfully at Work
You always want to make sure that you are dressed properly and respectfully at work. Here are some easy tips you can follow to make sure that you are always dressed at your best.
- Wear neutral colors, this includes black, taupe (tan), cream, brown, navy blue, grey. This applies to suits (blazers, pants, skirts). The overall color that you wear should always be a neutral color. Stay away from crazy, loud patterns, and neon colors.
- Add a little color using your tie (men), shoes, and or shirt: Again, you can wear neutral color shirts like white, black, grey, and navy blue button down shirts. You may also wear light blue, and other pastel color shirts to brighten up your attire. Sweaters and blouses may also be worn as long as they are cleavage and work appropriate.
- Blazers are a must, a blazer upgrades any professional attire, it helps you look more put together and can make any ugly, uncomfortable, or inappropriate top, look better.
- Keep accessories modest (ladies): Statement jewelry, bling jewelry, oversized jewelry, and too much jewelry is very inappropriate. It’s distracting, unprofessional, and looks bad overall. Stick to stud earrings or small drop earrings, small pendant necklaces, one or two rings, and one small bracelet.
- No piercings: If your piercings are noticeable (on your face), remove them or hide them before entering your work place. Displaying your piercings; especially if you work in and office or work in a professional atmosphere is inappropriate and unprofessional. It does not look good.